Thursday, January 2, 2014

Lessons of balance

I intended to take the bus to work today. When I woke up at 3 a.m. and saw the rain my resolve melted. The car won.

I took my lunch, the second bowl of that soup from yesterday, instead of buy it. And I spent my break time crocheting a hat to be posted for sale. So, I rationalized, I had balanced the gas expense.

It got me to thinking about the choice I am making. The reaction has been either admiration or passive recognition. It is, after all, January second. Lots of goals were set yesterday. And I was already hedging, "Maybe I won't post every day." "It's okay I didn't take the bus. I saved a little somewhere else." Would this become just another new years resolution washed away with the blustering wind and rain?

Today was a reminder of how tough this challenge is going to be. There were moments when I was proud of my effort. Moments when I cried because I thought there was going to be an unexpected expense already. The best moment was when I realized this is starting to work. I made a little money today. More importantly, I made a commitment to my future.


I sold one of the yoga mats I had advertised. $10

Sold  2 dolls for $50. +$25 (these are being sold for a friend, I get 1/2)

And the check I was expecting came in. I forgot there would be a new year increase +$11

I'm at +$46. Not every day is this good. The goal is to have more good days than not good days.

Todays lessons.
 It's okay to give yourself a little as long as it is balanced.
 Effort is rewarded, eventually. Patience is required.
This decision has to be made every day.

I can't seem to get this to flow as smoothly as I'd like it to, but I have to get to sleep for another early morning. Perfectionism won't stop me from posting today either.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment