Saturday, January 25, 2014

Appreciation

A few months ago I went to an event that didn't, socially, dictate tipping. I appreciated that the young man working that night was doing so for salary alone and ended up staying late for us. So I slipped him a few bucks. It really wasn't much, later I wished I had given him more. That young man remembers me every time I go into that establishment, and falls over himself to make me feel welcome. Not because he made so much money, but because he was appreciated.

2, 4, 6,8 Who do you appreciate?

Do you tell them? Do you show them?

I'm not always good at it, but I try to practice a spirit of appreciation for the people who make the world a better place, in a big or little way. It catches on and comes around. 

It takes thought, but the world is such a better place if you see the effort people make for you as a gift, even if it is their job. It lifts them up and makes them want to do better.

Like a child wanting to please a parent. I guess we're all still children at heart, some times.

As I have run the numbers for the January/February budget, I've become appalled at my ability to waste money. Is so easy to not see it when we think of it in $10 or $20 increments. When it's added up, it's amazing. This has been a great reminder, already, of be conscience of my gifts and where I give them.

I appreciate you, each one that takes time to read this blog. Those who "like and share" it. When it is retweeted or google plussed. I am humbled that you would find my words worthy. Thank you

Yes, I still want a tablet. Yes, I still want a new couch. Yes, I still want to go to plays in the city. But I am thankful for what I do have.

When we can appreciate, be grateful, for what we have, it is so much easier to forget what we don't have.


No comments:

Post a Comment