Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Evaluating Self Worth

This isn't about self esteem. It's about the true worth for the work that is done.
When I sell on the online yard sale type forums, I do not make very much per hour. But I make enough to keep my head above water and it gets stuff out of my house. If I didn't need the money, I'd take it all to the thrift store. The tax deduction, likely, would be a better investment of time.

When I sell my hand crafted items, I'm fortunate if I make $5 an hour. Think about that the next time you are looking to buy something hand crafted.

So why do it? Because something's better than nothing. Because I truly enjoy the process. Because it is working well enough.

I have no intentions of this being my life forever, even if it often feels as though it is. For now, it is providing what I need.

And now I'm looking at it all from another angle. How much is my time worth to clean up and around all the stuff? How much time is spent fussing about stuff? Buying stuff. Cleaning stuff. Storing stuff. Disposing of stuff. It costs time as well as money.

My mantra has become: If it doesn't add light or life, it's not needed.
If it doesn't make me light, happy or it doesn't sustain existence, it's not worth keeping around.
So, more cleaning out tomorrow. Here's to hoping for lots of sales.

3 more days until the big payments. Sucking it in to tighten the belt. Breathing is over rated.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that stuff! It sneaks up on us so easily. I have family members who want to give me "stuff," even though I beg them not to!

    In the last few months, I decided to stop downloading ebooks until I'd read what I have (I did make an exception and buy some books from an indie bookstore, but that feels different to me). I also stopped buying yarn until I catch up on some existing craft projects. I've noticed that I feel better, less cluttered inside my head. I'm getting more done.

    It would be great to see more photos of what you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the guilt of stuff. "I thought of you"; "It was your..."; "This would be perfect for you." I have learned to temper the gift with, "It's lovely, thank you. But before I take it, if I find that I can't use it, will it be okay for me to find someone who can use it?" Then find a thrift store far, far away to donate it to.
    Or, perhaps, they just need permission to let it go. "I know Gramma loved that vase, but she would be thrilled to know that it was donated to a good cause." Then find a cause that Gramma would have supported to give it to.
    Then go change your will: "I do bequeath all my worldly goods to your wise choices. Take what you don't love to the thrift store of your choosing. Live free my family." LOL

    Oh how our hobbies do get us. Good for you for being conscious of that clearer feeling. It is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete