Thursday, January 9, 2014

Cabin Fever

Well, I made it through the first week of this extreme saving time. When I wasn't at work, I was home working on selling goods or on things that would save money.

The only social interaction I've had was with the repair man and the woman sitting in the waiting area, when I had the nail removed from my car tire. And the few minutes with the folks I purchased a bicycle from. And facebook.

Being a social person, this has been hard for me. I would usually hop in the car and head to a coffee shop or wine bar or play or something with lots of people. By not doing that I've learned a few things.

1) Facebook is fun, but no substitute for face to face interaction.
       There's an old story about a child crying in the night. When the well intended parent tells the child that they need only to trust God to care for them, the child replies, "I trust God, but sometimes I need someone with skin on."
       Part of our being includes the need for interaction with other humans who both cherish us and challenge us.
      I will make more effort to have face time and stay on goal.

2) I can live a quiet life, if I have to.
      Through out the week I have grown closer to myself. I have discovered I can develop some pretty darn annoying habits pretty quick, especially if I don't think anyone will be coming by to visit. This has given me a good look at the bad habits I need to break, like piling the clean laundry on the chair. It has also helped me to find the time to do some of those things I've been meaning to do, like clean out the back room. It has given me time to think about what I want to do and how I accomplish those things.
   
3) I need to think like a 20 year old again.
       Well, in some ways. I am thinking about ways to be socially active with out spending money, in a more grown up context. Movie and game nights still are fun. Now I'm, also, looking at inviting local authors and musicians in to my home to promote their projects. Social interaction, supporting the arts, and saving money. Win.

4) I am having to remember the bigger picture.
       My family lives far away from me. There have been some things come up that make me want to fly home. It's not that I could really do anything about these things. And with a blizzard bearing down, I would probably end up stuck somewhere. So I have to sit tight and remember that in a few weeks the weather will turn and, by then, I will be financially free.

5) I don't miss a lot of things.
       On an up note.
       I don't miss pumping gas. It has been cold, rainy and windy. While I am so thankful that it isn't as bad as some places, it is still cold. By not being on the go, I'm not using as much gasoline.
       I don't miss worrying about how to make money stretch.
       Most of all, I don't miss feeling like I'd never be able to get out of this hole.

So, on to week two. Starting with selling the stuff I cleaned out of the back room.

No comments:

Post a Comment