Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day 1: Chicken soup ala leftovers

I know there are a lot of people out there who are living cheap because of life circumstances. I have been there. Having been there I have some crazy mad thrifty skills.
"You're resourceful. I like that about you." Was a comment I received recently.
So I have decided that I am going to live extremely frugally so that I can pay off two credit card bills. I could continue to pay minimums on these cards and live a comfortable life. But I want to be free of this burden as quickly as I can.

I have some advantages. I acknowledge them and will attempt to give ideas to make ideas work should you not have that advantage.

So, I begin my quest to debt free living.

What did I do today?
I posted several items for sale sites. One on Craigslist. The rest on local Facebook Buy, Sell, Trade groups.
I did two large loads of laundry. Now this may not seem important, but it takes a while for a single person to have one large load, much less two.
It was a sunny day, so I opened all the curtains to warm up the house. Then I closed them as the sun moved to the backside of the house. So I was able to keep the thermostat turned down.
And I made leftovers soup for dinner. Here's that:
  I had purchased a pre-cooked chicken for my daughter and I. I put that in the crock pot and let it cook down. Then I took left over onions, squash and rice and put it in a pot with some of the chicken broth and bits of chicken. When it was hot, I put a day old roll on the bottom of the bowl and poured the soup on top of it. This made two large bowls of soup. Super quick and easy.
I will portion the remaining chicken broth in a standard muffin tin and freeze. Then I'll transfer the disks into a container. When I want soup or gravy I can pull one out of the freezer.
The alarm clock is going to go off very early in the morning. So my final act of saving today will be going to bed early. Electronics unplugged will save on the bill.

I hope you find some of this helpful. Every little bit helps, I suppose. Perhaps it will help just knowing you're not alone in the journey.
Chicken soup from what ever leftovers I could find in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment