Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Vertigo and perspective

Sick day number two, compounded by a winter storm. When the barometric pressure drops it effects my ears. Vertigo becomes a concern. I have drugs for that and the medical folks gave me some distraction therapy tips. I really try not to take the meds, but some days you just have to do what you have to do.

Distraction therapy? My brain can be distracted by using another part of my brain. Smelling a strong scent, like peppermint or thinking about something else. "Don't think about it and it will go away" really works for me.

By using these techniques I was able to drop my ER visits to just one last year. There were probably two other times I should have gone in, but I recovered at home. It's slower, but it's not as expensive.

It doesn't work for everyone with vertigo, I am fortunate.

Yes, fortunate. I choose to not concentrate on what I don't have and focus on what I do. A good attitude will take you a long way.

Take some time to think about what you do have. It won't make all the troubles go away, but it will help you get through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment