Tuesday, February 4, 2014

No Time for Fussing


I wrote tonight's installment on a document and now am hurriedly posting it, before the gremlins eat the connection again.
The internet provider I have is having a problem tonight. I lost connection for about an hour. It came back for 30 minutes, and now it’s down again. This happens so rarely that I’m inclined to believe that someone hit something. I hope everyone’s alright.

So, what do I do when there’s no internet at home?

A)   Clean out the paper in the office to sort and/or shred

B)   Take a shower, then get a cup of coffee

C)   Make popcorn and put a movie on

D)  All of the above

I spent the time labeling the storage in the office for quick put away. And I am watching a movie, with popcorn and coffee, after taking a shower.

I called the provider and they already were working on the problem.  No amount of fussing was going to make it happen faster. It’s not like I didn’t have plenty to do.

This has gotten me to thinking about how much time I waste fussing. I could have sat here and sulked. Perhaps I could have called or texted friends to complain, or go online on my phone, resigning myself to settling.

It wouldn’t have turned my internet back on. And I don’t believe I would feel better.

So, the shredder is humming. The room is cleaner. And the popcorn is delicious.

As bonus rewards, I am relaxed and ready for sleep and I found a folder with poetry I wrote over 20 years ago. Perhaps we’ll revisit some of those.

Fussing, whatever that means for you, really helps nothing. I am not advocating not expressing how you feel. What I am suggesting is that the way you do this is positive. When faced with an obstacle, you be flexible enough to go in another direction.  


 

This has also given me time to think about a poem for a fun, new website that my brilliant friend, Katie Woodzick, and I are pouring our creative spirits into,

Poetrybytheshot.wordpress.com

Come throw one back with us.

1 comment:

  1. I had Internet issues Monday morning, right when I needed it most. I definitely did some fussing! Then I took a breath and made some beet kvass and ginger soda. For me, putzing in the kitchen is relaxing. I was able to get some of my work done later that day, and the rest waited until Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete