Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Star for my dark nights

I splurged and made a trip to the Seattle today. Out going Washington State Poet Laureate, Kathleen Flenniken passed the baton to Elizabeth Austen.

I left with, what I felt was, plenty of time to find a parking spot. When I turned on the radio Natasha Bedingfield was belting out "...today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten..." from her song "Unwritten".

Sunny weather quickly became torrential rain, slowing traffic. A missed ferry, further discouragement. More rain, why do I keep going. 20 minutes to find a parking spot. Main event over.

I went in because I figured I had come that far, I was going to meet them. It turned out there was an after party, so I had the privilege of meeting several wonderful people from the arts community, as well as the laureates.

This morning I listened to Elizabeth Austen perform one of her poems, "Go Into the Woods", it is what kept me going today. I kept saying, Go anyway. I am so glad I did.

It was such a privilege to meet both these women who share my passion for poetry. I am so glad I took the money to experience this occasion. It was so worth it.

I am inspired.

I may not have, or need, the sun and the moon; but a star every now and then is nice.



http://crosscut.com/2014/02/14/arts/118742/meet-your-new-state-poet-laureate-/?fb_action_ids=783715561653549&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

No comments:

Post a Comment